Google Search

Google

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Run # 477 - The End of Streak # 1

While I've joked about it in the past and knew it would someday end, I honestly didn't think it would come this soon.

Sunday was my last run on this streak. I say "this streak" because I'll start a new one today but I need to define a new goal of how long I want it to last.

My biggest problem I felt after hitting the year one mark was a combination of things: I stopped training for marathons, slowed down considerably in terms of time, and - perhaps most importantly - I didn't have my sights set on a date to clear like I did when I started this initially.

I have done a terrible job keeping this blog updated as well, which obviously didn't help me any to keep it going, even though I did.

Officially, the number for streak one is 477 days.

Why did it end? I felt terrible pretty much all day on Monday and, as I have done numerous times, decided to fall asleep around 9 pm and go run around 11:30 pm. When did I wake up? Exactly 12:26 AM.

I will learn from this experience and become a better runner because of it.

It wasn't easy, but it was worth every day, every element of weather, every city, and every supporter and person who told me I couldn't do it as well as those who said I could.

So with that I'd like to again thank my readers of this blog, especially the one or maybe two who didn't quit checking it months ago as well as everyone who ran with me.

I'll let the few people who've read this know the new link for Streak # 2 once it is up and I'll leave you with the following:

"To fail is a natural consequence of trying. To succeed takes time and prolonged effort in the face of unfriendly odds. To think it will be any other way, no matter what you do, is to invite yourself to be hurt and to limit your enthusiasm for trying” - David Viscott

No comments: